Updated: Nov 16, 2020
For the chicken:
1. 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs(450g, cut into 1-inch pieces)
2. 1 teaspoon Shaoxing wine
3. 1 tablespoon water
4. 1/4 teaspoon salt
5. 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
6. 1 teaspoon sesame oil
7. 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
8. 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
9. 1/2 cup cornstarch
For sauce mix: 1. 1/3 cup low sodium chicken stock
2. 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
3. 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
4. 3 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
5. 1 1/2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
For the rest: 1. 1 cups broccoli florets(about 6 ounces)
2. 4 cups peanut oil (for frying, plus 1 tablespoon; can substitute canola or vegetable oil)
3. 5-6 dried red chili peppers
4. 2 cloves garlic (minced)
5. 2 teaspoons Shaoxing wine
1. Marinate the chicken pieces in a bowl with the Shaoxing wine, water, salt, white pepper, and sesame oil. Mix until the chicken absorbs all the liquid. Next, add the toasted sesame seeds, all-purpose flour, and cornstarch. Stir to coat, and set aside.
2. Make the sauce mixture by combining the low-sodium chicken stock, dark soy sauce, regular soy sauce, brown sugar, and rice wine vinegar in a bowl or measuring cup. Set aside.
3. In a wok or pot, boil 6 cups water, and blanch the broccoli for 30 seconds to a minute, depending on whether you like your broccoli soft or crunchy. Drain in a colander and set aside. To keep it super green, you can also transfer them to an ice bath, and then drain and set aside.
4. Heat the frying oil in a small but deep pot to 335 degrees F/170 degrees C. Carefully drop the chicken pieces into the oil in small batches. Make sure the batter/sesame seeds have really coated all sides of the chicken before frying. The chicken should float at the top of the oil. Fry until light golden brown (about 5 minutes) and transfer to a wire rack or plate lined with paper towels to drain.
5. Be sure to manage the oil temperature using a thermometer, as it will drop every time you add raw chicken. Continue frying in batches. Once all of the chicken has been fried once, fry the chicken a second time for 3 to 5 minutes until super crispy. Be careful not to burn it!
6. Heat a clean wok over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of oil along with the dried chilies. Cook the chili peppers for about 5 seconds. Add the minced garlic and Shaoxing wine.
7. Next, add General Tso’s Chicken sauce you prepared earlier. Bring the sauce to a simmer until it thickens to a glossy sauce. Add the chicken and broccoli, and toss until everything is coated in the sauce. Plate and serve immediately with steamed rice!
Recipe by: Bill (the Woks of Life)
Developed by: Brin Xu
Preparing time: 20 minutes; Cooking time: 25 minutes