1. red bean paste* (480 g/ 16 oz)
Make water dough:
2. all-purpose flour (120g/1cup)
3. white sugar (1 tbsp)
4. shortening (30g / 2.5 tbsp) add to the dry mix.
5. water (60ml / 4tbsp)
6. 1 egg
7. 1/8 tsp salt mix, wash twice before baking
8. 1 tsp white season seeds
Make oil dough:
9 .all-purpose flour 100 g (4/5 cup)
10. shortening (60g/5.5 tbsp)
* You could buy it from most Asian groceries. Alternatively, you could buy canned Aduki beans, and blend it into a paste. Then, heat it with sugar and vegetable oil in a saucepan with low heat for 30 minutes. The ratio of bean, sugar, and oil is recommended10:1:2.
Prepare the doughs (30 minutes) * If join online cooking events, please finish this part ahead.
Make the water dough: combine all the ingredients to a mist ball. Covered with plastic wrap and let it sit for 15 minutes. Divide into 16 pieces.
Make the oil dough: combine all the ingredients to a mist ball. Covered with plastic wrap and let it sit for 15 minutes. Divide into 16 pieces.
Divide red bean paste into 16 pieces. Roll it into a ball shape.
Prepare for making flowers (15 minutes; if set it aside for the best results, 30 more minutes):
1. Flatten a piece of water dough and wrap in a portion of oil dough.
2. Press it and roll it into a thin long layer.
3. Roll it up from the bottom to the top.
4. Repeat 1-3. The purpose is to make layers in the dough.
5. Cover it and let sit for 15 minutes (optional).
6. Press it and roll it into a pancake shape. 0.5 inches thick and 3 inches in diameter.
7. Repeat until finish all the pieces.
We will do one of the flowers, depending on time.
Make plum shape flowers (15 minutes)
1. Cut into 4 pieces, using fork or chopstick to squeeze the middle of each petal.
2. Repeat it for the rest.
Make Chrysanthemum shape flowers (15 minutes):
1. Cut in into 16 petals; not to break the middle.
2. Turn each petal 90 degrees;
3. Repeat it for the rest.
Bake it up (30 minutes):
1. preheat oven to 350 F Degree.
2. mix egg and salt. Wash the surface using egg mix twice before baking.
3. sprinkle some white season seeds
4. Bake it for 25-30 minutes. Cover with a foil for the last 10 minutes to prevent the top becomes yellow.
Cooking time: 1h
Yields: 16 flowers
Recipe by: Kathrine Kwa
Developed by: Brin Xu